maths made easy

Posted by sazali

Morning.

I am teaching a group of students some basic maths today. They are basically repeaters Diploma Maths IT 1. One of the topics is series. But before that I was quite amused looking at this type of work. Check if you can help me.

1) a + 1 = 10 ... they took so long so understand this .. we must find 'a' right?
but if I put

2) ? + 1 = 10 .. and start saying '?' could be an empty box .. they quickly replied with 9 which is correct

3) (a + 1) = 10 .. why bracket Sir? will it easier if we put no bracket
so I remove the bracket. goto (1) above

4) (? + 1) = 10 .. oh my god ... why bracket and '?' together this time Sir?
don't know. Guess why I need to put a bracket

Sir, lets say I don't put a bracket

it looks better , I suppose .. go to number (2) above

Conclusion

Some students can not take algebra in the form of alphabets. Example x,y,z

but they can take pictures like empty boxes. Their brain seem to function better if we said .. just imagine the 'x' as an empty box. What could it be?

Thus at this level, visual helps could help a little bit in my teaching. I don't know other teachers. Did you find the same pattern in your students thinking? Let us share, shall we?

Have a good day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment