Ian Jefferson BIRMINGHAM UNIVERSITY in UTHM

Posted by sazali

Salam.

I wish you all my readers Happy Things  and many glad tidings.

2)  Last Tuesday Dr Ian Jefferson (UNIV BIRMINGHAM, UK) came to give a talk on research, thesis writings and journals publication.  I was one of those in the front row.  I was so eager to hear from someone (one of my shifus) from my old university - UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM, England -  Edgsbaston.  Ooops  ..'shifu' means teacher, professor.  He..he..

3)  He showed us 30 slides but I prefer to focus on one important slide -  about writing paper/ journal paper. 

His recommended step was

3.1  do the research review first
3.2  do the methodology next
3.3  get the results out
3.4  do the discussion from your results
3.5  conclude your findings
3.6  do your introduction
3.7  get your abstract out - only 3 sentences please.  The what, objective, method used and the conclusion.

From the list , we can see his practical approach in getting a paper done with.  FYI, I did similar way and I got 2 papers out -  one in RECSAM, Penang some where in Nov 2011 and God willingly .. a paper in UKM Congress Paper 18-19th December 2011 in Penang too.  We must present our papers first before they got selected into the journals.  Don't worry the journals, the impact factor etc etc .. what is really important is .. your first, second, third ..papers in arithmetic progrssion mode first.  Once the writings come ,  ..soon, .. u will get the skill .. a paper for a respected journal WSEAS.  Try?

Dr Ian Jefferson (Faculty of Civil Engineering, UOB) .. warned thats the way ..overseas reviewers did .. they read the intro , then the conclusion part .. and if it sounds brilliant .. there it goes whether the paper can be read further for serious consideration for future publications etc etc.

4.0  Just a small advise for my young students + researchers.  Don't worry the step. If I were you ..  Just write ..write ..and keep on writing your work, your ideas, .. , lift the ideas from your brain onto the paper / computer notebook ,.. and keep on focusing on the most important part .. conclusion, contribution to the body of knowledge , critics , critic the literature you had read 20 - 30 times in this life .. critical thinking is very important at masters and phd level.  Many of us lost our sleep by keeping our ideas .. running through in our small brain ... we look sleeping but in fact we are not .. (oops thats why some of my PHD friends ..apart from getting their phd abroad ..they brought back their new ones .. brilliant isn't it?.. laugh). The solution is put a small paper next to your bed ..if u struck a brilliant idea like Sir Isacc Newton in the middle of the night ..just wake up and write it down on the paper .. that relieves your brain by 3 factor loading).  Laugh.

I think thats all ..  my small contribution .. to the resaerch students in my university UTHM.  Good Luck.  Keep it burning .. yes u must be fire up .. then all your ideas willl come on paper and insyallah the journals .  Good Luck to you and me of course.

Wallahuaklam.  (God Knows better things than us .. grouped together).

0 comments:

Post a Comment