Team Building in Evely Resort Hotel Melaka Malaysia

Posted by sazali

I was selected representing my faculty FSKTM for a course called succession plan by PPKK UTHM. There were 22 PhD holders aged ranging from 29 to 52 years old. The objective of this course is to develop a group of talented leaders in future in view of many senior officers going to retire within this 5 years time.

The course was conducted by Colonel (R) Nik Zalaini from Pushing Limited Sdn Bhd. I like the company because they have few Chinese motivators along and they were very friendly and very out going.

On the main land, three special tasks were given to us. First to construct a bridge using 2 short wooden planks. Second task was to bring a drum of water (supposed to be special liquid) to the other side of island using 2 kinds of ropes tied between two big trees. Each group has 7 to 8 members of different sizes and weights. They timed the completion of each task. Our group came last on both occasions. (laugh)

The last task was to build a raft using floats and ropes. We are asked to use the raft to carry all the members to the other side of the island. I was very surprised to myself that I can tie 4 floaters using nylon ropes and the raft was successfully constructed within 30 minutes. The success can be seen when 7 of us got onto the raft , peddling it from the shore to a small motor boat a distant away. My tie never gave way to the small waves that hit the raft. What an achievement!

At night, Prof Dr Azraai from UTM talked about ‘characteristics of an academic dean’. I liked the talk very much where he showed us two kinds of ladders called academic and administrator type in any university.. But the only thing it dragged from 930 to 1130 pm . When the meeting was over, I could hardly see the button in the hotel’s lift. We hit the bed very late that night. But b4 I slept, I prayed that Dr Radzi will wake me up for fajar prayer in a nearby mosque since the next morning was a Friday. It was an important dawn prayer and big thawab that goes with it .. if we can attend congregational prayer at any Friday’s dawn. U know what? Dr Radzi went all alone to the mosque. I think he must have thought that I was so tired for I snored like a wild boar. Well , I forgave him. What can I do? Pehaps my intention is bigger than the praying itself.

My eyes were red when I came down for breakfast. At 0800am we were fortunate to hear a talk about Human Resource Corporation by ex-Exxon boss Dato’ Kamaruddin Md Jamal. He power point many definitions of a leader, contributor, manager, etc etc. I think he showed us 50 slides within 2 hour talk. Each slide was carefully developed with quotations from Ghandi, Churchill, Thatcher, Aldair, .. and he gave many kinds of examples based from his wide experience studying in RMC, working in the Malaysian army and his MBA in Cranfield, London, and 18 years attachment in Houston, USA. The best part is the way he answered many questions from Dr Ariff Adam, Dr Kathegeshu, Dr Rosmaini, Prof Dr Noraini and many more. He came so near to each of them while answering their questions. I think that’s the way an army is brought up when he/she is confronted with problems from his subordinates. I also asked him .. but .. (never mind) .. let’s go on to the next paragraph.

Our beloved Dato NC also came. He talked about the importance of developing very efficient leader in any organization. He has so many stories from his Imperial College London, his travels in Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, and his fond memory working in UMS Sabah. Intersperse he mentioned datin, datin. I think he should have brought his wife next time (laugh). Well he talked very well and it was very refreshening to listen my top boss talking with so many ideas.

After Prof Dr Noraini Kaparawi talk and TNC(A) Prof Dr Abd Aziz briefing at 1200 am ..we checked out from the hotel and left home , stopping for Friday prayer in Tg Keling Masjid. Overall it was a great course knowing in advance I have so few more years left to leave any mark in UTHM’s history. I just say .. ‘I cross the bridge when I get there’. TQ Colonel Nik and associates. You ran the course very well indeed. Bravo!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment