writings about teachings

Posted by sazali

Salam

Preparing for a maths class

Today I would like to cover few points about set relationships. Discrete Mathematics.
So I read a few Schaum’s books that I bought in 1980’s. Mind you I graduated Leeds in 1982.

I read through the notes so that I can anticipate how much of the subject content I need to cover. Then I look at some problems (easy, middle and difficult). I always pick the simplest and the middle ones. Why? Because the simple ones would motivate my lazy students. It is important to catch their attention else my teaching will go waste.

Then I switch on the notebook. Get out a folder on SETS. This was obtained by Dr Najib Salleh. Thanks. I am very grateful with his notes and examples. At least I had saved my time from some donkey work like preparing the slides (power points). He..he..

Now how can I cover all that within 1 or 2 hours?

Mind you .. my teaching occurs in the computer laboratory. This is ideal because I can direct them to google something if my teaching is so boring. I always bring them to youtube about SETS. The 2 sets are easy A U B = A+B- (AnB) but how about

3 sets ? Is A U B U C = A + B + C – (AnB) –(AnC) – (BnC) ?

Anybody out there who can help me please?
B4 I walk out from the class, I must hand out some exercises. Next week I propose their recommended answers. Is that OK you guys?

TQ.

That’s how I carry out my life as a senior lecturer. (Thanks for your attention). p/s: 2 April 2011 I am invited to present teaching maths algebra in Penang. A technical school.

0 comments:

Post a Comment