One -Tips Mengajar Bahasa Inggeris Form 5 di Malaysia if you are just

Posted by sazali

salam.

if u are just new to that particular school irrespective of it is SBT, cluster, smart or ordinary schools.

I was an English teacher SPM 133 in Kelantan from  year 1987 - 1992.  I was fortunate to be Oral Examiner , SPM 133/2 English Examiner, and many more.  I taught Stats, Maths and Computing Studies using English in a polytechnic MOHE from 1992 - 2002.  Then in UTHM , I am teaching mathematics and Intro to Computing /IT in English too.  So .. I am using English to get my monthly pay all this while.  So let us share what I got all these years before I retire in  a few
 years time.  God Willling.

2)  I suppose you are a TESL graduate from UITM, UPSI etc etc.

So don't worry.  You are academicaly qualified to handle  SPM , PMR students in this country.  For  a start ,

You must have the syllabus, curriculum, list of recommended books etc etc.  But don't bring all these in the classroom.

3)  I think you have to focus .. controlling the class.  It is an art actually.  My main objective is to stay alive from the minute I walk into the class until the bell rings.  Usually I taught 2 periods of English that day. 

3.1  if the class is co-ed  , then half of the battle is already won.  Naughty boys tend to behave better if there are a few pretty girls.  If they misbehave, just ask them to stand up .. the best shot is ..ask them to stand up on the chair/ table.

3.2  if the class is 100% girls,  then it is much better.  Many malay girls can write english very well but they are too shy to open up their mouth.  I think there are too much 'gold and jewels' from the mouth.  So dont worry.  Just ask them simple questions like "..Minah , can you understand the whole passage?"  in a comprehension class.  So the most probable answer is "No, teacher ".  Why?  I don't understand many .things .. (after 10 minutes waiting ) the vocabulary is too hard/difficult teacher .

So there goes a sample of 100% girls in your class of English

3.3  if the class is 100% boys then it is .. the best, I suppose.  You can appreciate them all out or you can express your anger at them to the maximum ..  all out ..any time.  He..he..  Why?  I observed that many boys put on thick ears and blind eyes in English lesson(s).

As a whole It is more of controlling the class.

4.  Don't put on expensive dress.  The students know sometimes which boutique you bought your dress from.

5.  Speak slowly and clearly.

6.  Don't walk all over the classroom too much.  Stay in the middle in the front part of the class.  Your posture -  take care of your posture.  It is OK if you are too tall / short.  The population of Malaysia knows well the average height of any malaysian.  They can't beat any English man/ American/ Arab/ basketball player from China.  So don' t worry too much.  Just stand straight and talk well in English

7.  Write beautifully.  Say something like this while you are writing '.. this is the best handwriting in the whole school.... Do you believe?"

8.  Don't ask any body / the same one student /  all the time .  Ask the back bencher(s) too.  Go near them when they are trying to answer anything that you ask.  Elaborate on their answer for the beneft of the whole class.

9.  Usually I like to befriendwith my students. Just ask where you live?  your dad still young?  your mum is alone then?  he..he..  they will answer all those questions and just listen them ..and remmeber to stick their names into ur memory.  It helps a lot in controlling the class if u know few names.  It brings some honour, pride to these young boys and girls.

I think that is all for today.

I shall continue ..with this tips .. as you get on ..with the schools ,  don't worry.

Wallahu aklam.     

0 comments:

Post a Comment