English Lessons for Malays 14

Posted by sazali

Salam.

Good morning every body. You slept well last night Jusuh?

ha..ha.. Jusuh is a malay name. It is a popular name among Terengganu people.
Ha..ha..

I happened to visit my old friend Dato' Prof Dr Alias Daud. During our conversation ..he repeatedly use this words .... I myself do it/ I myself called him in/// she herself posted the document for my attention.

The words I am interested to teach you is 'myself', 'herself'. All these are called reflecive pronouns. People use it to emphasize something called an individual effort through and through. It was him alone who did all the work.

It is nice to use reflecsive pronouns in our writings but don't put so much in one paragraph - it sounds so boring and you look BRAGGING!

Examples:

1. Jusuh did the project himself without any of my supervision.

2. Rosnah herself discuss it with her friends and finally made the decision.
3. You must do the sum yourselves first before asking your teacher. Understand Jusuh?
4. Mat Rempits are killing themselves by racing on that part of the road. Just wait here. Will you? Soon we can pick their bones and sell them to the open market in India.
5. The malays themselves are spoiling their children by pampering them with so much gadgets in I.T.
6. The Brazilian defender scored the goal himself. What a hell! After a minute he was substituted by his coach.


See. those are some examples of reflecsive pronoun.

Exercise. Give an appropraite reflecsive pronoun for the following persons.

1. Head master
2. Head mistress
3. Tom and Jerrry
4. Mathatma Gandhi
5. A film called 'DOSTI'.

Try boys. I shall come again with the answers. Till then Good Bye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment