English Lessons for Malays 17

Posted by sazali

Salam.

Great to be back after the weekend. You ok Majid? Ali , you are OK? By looking at your face , I know you are very eager to celebrate Eid Mubarak , am I right boys?

Yes. Today we are going to study few sentences which was not correctly written. I want you to spot where the errors are. Shall we begin then?

Q1. I not want that book. Expensive!

Q2. They not go yet. I not know why.

Q3. The boys not wake up yet. They watched TV late last night.

Ok then .. can you see any errors there. These are the common ways many of you write to me in your essays and assignments. So can you spot the error please.

Let us start by calling Minah. Minah , first question please. Where is the error?

Minah: "I not want". it sounds stupid.

Teacher: yes you are right .. I agree with you. So how should the sentence be like then.

Minah: I think " I do not want " THE - DO - was left out.

Teacher: correct. You are right. You must say " I do not BUKAN BUKAN BUKAN I not like " . (laugh)

Very Good Minah. Well done.

Well where are you Ali? Oops ..what the hell are you doing Ali ?

Hanif: He is trying to grap my crotch Sir! Adush sakitnya.

Teacher: Ok Ali .. don't be foolish. Try Question 2 Ali.

Ali: Same SIR . I think .. They DO NOT GO . They DO NOT Go .

Teacher: Good Ali. I am proud . you saw the mistake. Yes We cannot say .. They NOT GO. It must be .. They DO NOT GO

Very good Ali. Please mind your business ..Hanif.

Ok then .. lets get Kumari doing the 3rd question.

Try KUmari.

Teacher: Can you read first the sentence Kumari.

Kumari: The boys not wake up yet. They watch late TV last night.

Teacher: so .. what will it be like then?

KUmari: THE BOYS DO NOT // THE BOYS DID NOT WAKE UP yet.

The boys did not wake up yet. Sir. Is that OK?

Teacher: yes. yes. why you said THEY DID NOT wake up yet kumari?

Kumari: Past Tense. last night. is the clue , i suppose SIR?

Taecher: BRilliant Kumari. You are my star today. Sit down!

Yes.. if we talk about last night ..then it is going to be .. DID NOT WAKE UP YET.

DIDn't wake up yet. DIDN"T wake up yet is fine here.

------------ conclusion.

Many of us miss the verb-to-be when writing simple sentences.

I wake up.

I do not wake up .

I eat.

I do not eat .

I ate (past tense)

I did not eat .. or I didn't eat .

She studied.

She did not study.

She didn't study.

Alisah sings a nice song.

Aliah doesn't sing . Alisah didn't sing a nice song.

----

It is Ok to put .. DID NOT .. after all.

As long you do not miss it in your message.

They DID NOT COME. The boys and girls DIDN"T COME at all.


Mahathir swears. Mahathir does not swear that. Mahathir did not swear // din't swear at all.


If someone ask ? did you come? yes i did/ no i didn't.

does she pass the exam? yes she has. no she hasn't.

does he fast today? yes he is. no he isn't.

See? It is so simple. Don't miss out the NOT/ did not.

I think thats all for now. Please pray I can get my ATM card again else God knows what i should do tomorrow. Me in the 7th floor, you know? That man jumped down from that police office just becuase he was caught with rasuah ( bribes).

Should I jump too? Laugh.

Till then good bye. See you...


0 comments:

Post a Comment